Announcements and Important Events
Dear 7th & 8th Grade Parents and Student Athletes:
Greetings! Well ... believe it or not, it won’t be long before we’re on the sidelines again. Please take a few moments to review the enclosed material.
• MEDICAL FORM:
There is now just one medical form that needs to be filled out and turned in for all students and athletes. The “Student Physical & Athletic Exam Form” is to be completed and signed by a doctor for all students and athletes entering grades 6, 9, 11. This form meets the physical exam requirements for both the school nurse and the athletic department. All other athletes and families only need to complete the online forms - there is no paperwork to turn in.
• ONLINE FORMS:
PowerSchool’s Online Athletic Forms have been cleared and you may now enter and complete the Online Forms for the 2019-2020 school year.
ALL athletic forms MUST be accessed and completed ONLINE using PowerSchool’s Parent Portal. Be sure to click on all the tabs across the top. Online Forms consist of:
- signing up and selecting which sports your son/daughter will participate in
- permission to participate in athletics and to take the ImPACT concussion test (9th & 11th only)
- Insurance responsibility pledge
- Concussion information sheet
- Medical information and history:
URGENT: - make sure to update this information
- your son/daughter’s coach and athletic trainer will have this information
If you have not set up a Parent Portal Account, please contact the main office to get your access Parent ID and Parent Password.
After July 14th, if you need assistance contact Karin Kamm: email@example.com
You will not be able to access the online athletic forms using your child’s PowerSchool Account.
• ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF ONLINE FORMS:
Once parents have logged into PowerSchool using their Parent Portal Account, you will be asked to acknowledge that you have read and understand the contents of both the Athletic Handbook and Parent Coach Communication Guide - and that you have reviewed both of these documents with your son/daughter. It is an expectation that students and parents be familiar with the contents of these two documents.
It is critical that all individuals involved with Freeport Middle School athletics are aware of the rules, policies, and guidelines. The Athletic Handbook and Communication Guidelines provide a comprehensive look at our philosophy and expectations. Items included in the Athletic Handbook are:
- Individual Program Goals and Playing Time
- Responsibilities / Sportsmanship Expectations
- Eligibility Policy
- Code of Conduct
- Transportation – parent’s release form
- Expectations for Saturday & vacation participation
- Awards, Attendance, & Uniforms
- General Participation Rules
This Guide provides tips to a better understanding of the communication process. Please do not attempt to confront a coach before, during or after a contest or practice. These can be emotional times for both the parent and the coach and this situation does not promote resolution nor objective analysis.
• ATHLETIC WEBSITE: www.freeportathletics.com
Bookmark NOW! Information available on the website:
- coaches directory & contact information
- athletic handbook & all necessary forms
- athletic news, announcements & important dates
- separate tab with information for parents
- Fan Shop: athletic apparel in school colors
- list of sports teams offered
- directions to opponent’s athletic facilities
- parent coach communication guide
• ATHLETIC SCHEDULES:
Freeport Middle School will continue to utilize TeamSnap for athletic scheduling and communication.
All of the schedules for each team are listed on the FMS website under Athletics. Freeport Middle School uses TeamSnap for all of our team schedules. Team rosters will be added the first week of school, once coaches give their rosters to the main office. Coaches will add all of the practice times as we get closer to the start of the school year. Until rosters are added, parents and students will have to access the game and practice schedules via the middle school website.
• FALL TRYOUTS/PRACTICES - For 7th and 8th graders:
Students interested in participating on a fall athletic team should come to the first scheduled practice prepared to fully participate. This includes appropriate practice wear/gear and all the necessary athletic forms (see forms above).
ALL FMS TEAMS (except football): practices will begin on Tuesday, Sept 3rd
Anticipated practice times:
Soccer & Cross Country: 2:30-4:00
Field Hockey: in school supervision from 2:30-3:30 - practice from 3:45-5:15
• FMS FOOTBALL:
Equipment handout will be on Sunday, August 18th - FHS 6:00PM
Practice will begin on Monday, August 26th - 5:00-7:00 PM Pownal Elementary School
All football practices are held at the Pownal Elementary School. Preseason practices will be 5:00-7:00PM. Football, although a school sponsored activity, works with the Freeport Gridiron Club for the registration process. If you have not already registered and are interested in playing football you should contact the Gridiron Club representative Nicky Knighton (firstname.lastname@example.org). Football players should make sure to take care of all the necessary ONLINE athletic forms PRIOR to the first day of practice. At the conclusion of practice, parents will need to make arrangements for students to be picked up. Once school starts, there will be a bus available to transport students to the Pownal Elementary School after school each day. Regular season practice times: 3:45-5:15PM.
• FMS ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES:
- 7th graders may play on 8th grade teams if there are not enough 8th graders to field a complete team.
- 6th graders may play on the 7th grade teams if there are not enough seventh graders to field a complete team. 6th graders DO NOT try out with the 7th and 8th graders, but may be asked to try out after the total number of 7th & 8th grade participants has been determined.
- 7th and 8th grade students cut from the 7th and 8th grade teams will be automatically placed on the “no cut” “A” Team Basketball when available.
- 6th graders may play on “A” Teams if there are not enough 7th and 8th graders to field a complete team.
- 6th graders may be asked to try out after the total number of participants has been determined.
I will be out of the office for most of July and will return to the office August 12th. The best way to contact me through the summer is via email. Enjoy the summer months and best of luck in all your summer activities.
See you on the sidelines,
Craig Sickels, Athletic Administrator