Announcements and Important Events
Dear High School Parents and Student Athletes:
Greetings! I hope this finds you enjoying the summer months. The 2018-2019 school year saw widespread athletic success - it really was historic with 96% of our varsity teams qualify and/or earning births in postseason play. In addition, we had 74 varsity athletes named to All Conference teams this year. The number of our student athletes selected to All Conference Teams has doubled over the last 3 years: from 38 in 2016-2017 to 62 in 2017-2018. I’d like to thank all the student athletes, coaches, parents, and boosters for your continued support and
Please take a few moments to review the enclosed materials.
• MEDICAL FORM: There is now just one medical form that needs to be filled out and turned in for all students and athletes. The “Student Physical & Athletic Exam Form” is to be completed and signed by a doctor for all students and athletes entering grades 6, 9, 11. This form meets the physical exam requirements for both the school nurse and the athletic department. All other athletes and families only need to complete the online forms – there is no paperwork to turn in.
• ONLINE FORMS:
PowerSchool’s Online Athletic Forms have been cleared and you may now enter and complete the Online Forms for the 2019-2020 school year.
ALL athletic forms MUST be accessed and completed ONLINE using PowerSchool’s Parent Portal. Be sure to click on all the tabs across the top. Online Forms consist of:
- signing up and selecting which sports your son/daughter will participate in
- permission to participate in athletics and to take the ImPACT concussion test (9th & 11th only)
- Insurance responsibility pledge
- Concussion information sheet
- Medical information and history:
URGENT: - make sure this information get updated
- your son/daughter’s coach and athletic trainer will have this information
If you have not set up a Parent Portal Account, please contact the main office to get your access Parent ID and Parent Password.
After July 14th, if you need assistance contact Karin Kamm: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will not be able to access the online athletic forms using your child’s PowerSchool Account.
• ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF ONLINE FORMS:
Once parents have logged into PowerSchool using their Parent Portal Account, you will be asked to acknowledge that you have read and understand the contents of both the Athletic Handbook and Parent Coach Communication Guide - and that you have reviewed both of these documents with your son/daughter. It is an expectation that students and parents be familiar with the contents of these two documents.
It is critical that all individuals involved with Freeport High School athletics are aware of the rules, policies, and guidelines. The Athletic Handbook and Communication Guidelines provide a comprehensive look at our philosophy and expectations. Items included in the Athletic Handbook are:
- Individual Program Goals and Playing Time
- Responsibilities / Sportsmanship Expectations
- Co-curricular Eligibility Policy
- Code of Conduct
- Transportation - parent’s release form
- Expectations for Saturday & vacation participation
- Awards, Attendance, & Uniforms
- General Participation Rules
This Guide provides tips to a better understanding of the communication process. Please do not attempt to confront a coach before, during or after a contest or practice. These can be emotional times for both the parent and the coach and this situation does not promote resolution nor objective analysis.
• ATHLETIC WEBSITE: www.freeportathletics.com
This continues to be the most accurate place to get schedule information. Bookmark NOW!
Also available on the website:
- coaches directory & contact information
- athletic handbook & all necessary forms
- athletic news, announcements & important dates
- separate tab with information for parents
- Fan Shop: athletic apparel in school colors
- list of sports teams offered
- directions to opponent’s athletic facilities
- parent coach communication guide
• SIGN UP TO GET ALERTS: This is different from the E-Mail Notices and announcements that you receive from the school’s main office. This is an Athletic Alert specifically for athletic cancellations, postponements & make up notices - these will automatically be sent to your email/text.
• TWITTER ACCOUNT: @freeportfalcons
Official Twitter Account of the Freeport High School Athletic Department / Athletic Director. Announcements, notices, and in game updates and scores.
All sports and teams are scheduled to begin on Monday, August 19th or visit the athletic website for specific sport, dates, times, and location.
• PRESEASON PARENT INFORMATION NIGHT:
Thursday, August 15th - 6:00-7:00 PM - FPAC
These nights are specifically designed for parents. It is essential that parents attend. This will be an opportunity for you to have your questions answered, meet the coaching staff, and hear directly from them regarding team/parent expectations. For parents, this is your opportunity to become an active participant in your child’s high school education. This is also an opportunity for parents and individual Sport Booster groups to meet, organize and make final arrangements for the Homecoming.
• HOMECOMING WEEK: October 15th - 20th
4:30 - JV Field Hockey vs Yarmouth
6:00 - V Field Hockey vs Yarmouth
6:00 - Football vs Poland
9:00 - GJV Soccer vs Cape
11:30 - BJV Soccer vs Cape
1:30 - GV Soccer vs Cape
3:30 - BV Soccer vs Cape
I will be out of the office for most of July and will return to the office August 12th. The best way to contact me throughout the summer is via email. Enjoy the summer months and best of luck in all your summer activities.
See you on the sidelines.
Craig Sickels, Athletic Administrator